Pinewood Derby World
images are In Our Stores Items
The cars are in at the scout office So don't wait to come down to get yours. Units can come in and pick up all their cars at once as we ordered over a thousand cars.
We also got all the new accessories for the cars. Yes 2017 car designs stickers and addons are here. So come on down and get everything at one location. if we dont have it we will order it for you.
BUILD YOUR CAR AND SEE HOW IT STACKS UP AT YOUR PACK RACE
WHAT IS A PINEWOOD DERBY CAR AND RACE AND WHEN ARE THEY GENERALLY HELD?
From a block of wood, four plastic wheels, and four nails, a Scout produces a vehicle that can reach 20 mph! Cars are raced on tracks with two to six lanes where using only gravity to speed them along.
Racing starts at the Pack Derby Race, generally held in January through March (but can vary), where the cars are run in different heats and lanes. Top finishers in a Pack move on to the District Pinewood Derby Race, generally held in March through May.
GENERAL TIPS FOR MAKING A FAST CAR
There are many websites that will give you tops and tricks on how to maximize the speed of your car. Always keep in mind, the Northern Star Council's derby rules will be the ones that you need to follow.
Here are a few tips that will help:
- Maximize your allowable weight
- Weight should be in the rear of car in front of rear axle with the balance point 1-1.25 inches in front of rear axle.
- Use the slot closest to the end of block for rear axle.
- Low profile, smaller surface in front and larger in back.
- Wings, sails, flags, etc. catch air and will slow down the car.
- Make sure axle slots/ holes are perfectly parallel to make the car track as straight as possible.
- Lubricate wheels and axles with graphite and work in thoroughly. Graphite works best after a break-in period, so don't use between races.
- Polish nails/axles.
- Remove flashing around nail head.